Saturday, January 22, 2011

Security deposit, new year

Having moved to two different places already, I've learned a few things about leases, and security deposits. One of the most important things that I've learned, is that you as a tenant must learn your rights, and you as a landlord must know yours and the tenants rights. I moved out, giving my previous landlord plenty of notice, and yet I didn't receive my security deposit back. This is disheartening, as it wasn't my money but my parents'. I'm going to list a few important tips on what to do if this happens to you (which, I'm sad to report, will happen because this happens too often):

1) KNOW your rights. Go online and do your research. Each state has different laws for tenants and for landlords. In Virginia, for example, the landlord has 45 days from the termination of the lease to give back the security deposit, as well as list the damages

2) If your landlord does not return your security deposit, understand that you as a tenant have the right to bring him/her to small claims court

3) If possible, write in the lease a clause that will determine how you get your security deposit back. If you do bring him/her to court, you have a record of what is to happen to it

4) Before AND after you move out, take pictures of your place without furniture. That way, if your landlord says that there were damages and that you were responsible
for them, you have proof of whether or not you were

5) Know your lease too. DO NOT under any circumstances breach your lease. If you do, this decreases your chance of getting your security deposit back, if at all

I know all of this may seem overwhelming, but it is necessary. I'm going to call the legal non-profit that handles all of this, and see what they have to say. I'll give you all an update, and hopefully I'll get some, if not all, of my security deposit back

On the flip side, everything else is looking up. Although I haven't heard back yet regarding my position at my job, it looks good. My supervisors really like me, and so do my coworkers now. Hopefully things will turn out for the best, but you never know with the economy nowadays. If this job doesn't go permanent, the staffing agency that placed me there will find me another assignment. I love living in DC, even if I don't get to see my friends as often as I like (school and work tends to get in the way). Regardless, I'm settling in quite nicely, and am now starting to develop a professional network. Things are coming along slowly, but nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment