Tuesday, February 1, 2011

update on security deposit

Sadly, I will not be getting my security deposit back, as I did not give a WRITTEN notice of my move out date (hate loopholes). The gentleman at the housing agency was kind enough to give me some advice that I will share with you all:

1) You're move out date must be given to your landlord, by letter/written notice, by the number of days written in your lease (for me, it was at least a 30 day notice)

2) Write a checklist of damages that were already in the room/apartment BEFORE you move in. That way, the landlord can't charge you for things that were already damaged

3) After you move out, if your landlord still has not given your security deposit back, write them a letter politely asking for it back. Give them about a month, and if there is still not response you can take them to court

Have a COPY OF ALL DOCUMENTS. That way, when you go to court, you have proof and you have a better chance of getting your security deposit back. Don't be afraid to ask for advice either before and/or after you move out from you state housing agency. They can give you some great advice, and they are always on your side. The gentleman was very sympathetic about my plight, and was very willing to help in any way possible.

On a brighter note, for all you ladies out there, yahoo recently published a list of 10 things that every girl should have in her closet. Here's the link: http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/10-classic-staples-for-under-50-2445944/;_ylt=AgXje4hqobolFgWBIXWMdFhobqU5#photoViewer=1

Now granted that some of these things should not be so cheap if you're hoping to wear them for a while, but these looks are timeless nonetheless. I have pretty much all of the things on the list (it was unintentional), but regardless of your style I feel like every girl should have a variant of these things in her closet.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for all the security deposit tips; very informative! real life saver! you should think about writing for an apartment guide magazine.

    -appreciative reader

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew security deposits could be so confusing and exciting the same time?!? Thanks for all the tips(btw I have all those items in my closet too girlfriend!)

    ReplyDelete